Scraping Thumbtack for Insights
Posted by Swarup Malli
Updated: May 3, 2020
The project involved scraping Thumbtack website for information on over 1000 home inspectors providing services in multiple cities across USA.
Thumbtack is an online service that matches customers with local professionals. Currently, Thumbtack lists 1,100 types of services in categories such as home, wellness, events, and lessons.
Thumbtack’s major competitors are HomeAdvisor and Angies List.
Extracted the above highlighted data points (See Fig 1) from over 1028 Home inspectors from all over the country.
Goal of the project to find the ratings of top 10 service providers by the number of hires.And to find the ratings of those businesses.
Objective of the research was
1) To find if ratings and number of hires were co-related ? i.e. to find if businesses with rating 5 always did better than those with lower rating ?
2) Find the range of ratings of businesses that had highest number of hires.
3) Determine the Average, maximum and minimum starting price of the service providers
4) Co-relation between rating and number of hires
Ratings and number of hires:
After analyzing the data , it was found that the business that had maximum number of hires fell in the range of 4.7 - 4.9 (See Fig 2 above) .
5 star rating did not necessarily translate into more number of hires.
It was found many business with zero hires also had 5 star rating .
On an average the mean value of the starting price across united states was found to be $260 ,with minimum price being $96 dollars and maximum being $585. Businesses that listed they starting price made up 84% of hiring share vs 16% of those who did not in the dataset. Listing the pricing on the website actually helped to improve the business for the service providers.
Relation between 5-star rating and number of Hires
- 5-star rating doesn’t translate to greater number of
- Business with 5 str rating tend to be new to the market.
For Customers before hiring a home inspector
- Look for number of hires along with the star rating ,instead of just relying on star rating and number of reviews.
For Businesses trying to advertise on Thumbtack
- Advertising the starting price on the website can improve the business drastically.
- Businesses that provided services in multiple areas got more business compared to those who did not
Swarup has a Bachelors's degree in Information Technology. He started his career as an ETL developer and eventually transitioned into the Business Intelligence space. He has been consulting as a Business Intelligence professional with 10 + years plus of experience in the Banking, Pharma, and Manufacturing Industry. He believes Data Science is a logical extension to the field of BI and believes the future of data science is quite promising.View all articles